Jezebel was born approx. 900 BC, daughter of Ithobaal (a cruel idolatrous priest, follower of Baal, who murdered his own brother to take
the throne of Tyre). Jezebel followed in her fathers footsteps as a power-hungry murderess stopping at nothing to get what she wanted.
Jezebel coerced her husband King Ahab to abandon worship of Yahweh and instead worship the false dieties of Baal and Asherah.
Jezebel persecuted the prophets of Yahweh regularly in an attempt to eliminate Yahweh's prophets and raise up a group of
Jezebel loved to dress in finery and wear makeup and cosmetics, and sometimes wigs, and this led to an association of cosmetics
The meaning of the name Jezebel is derived from Izavel: A call to locate the the prince(ss) of the underworld, it was a ritual cry heard in Baal ceremonies.
When Jezebel married Ahab, ancient Israel was still divided between the Kingdom of Israel in the North and Judah in the south. Ahab was King of the North, King of the Kingdom of Israel.
With Jezebel worshiping Baal/Asherah, she went as far as requiring her religion to become the national religion of Israel.
She maintained 450 Baal and 400 Asherah prophets and had as many Yahweh prophets murdered as possible.
Once the true religion of Yahwism weakened, Elijah (a true prophet of God) challenged Jezebel's prophets of Baal on Mt. Carmel to show the true power of Yahweh.
Two altars were set up on Mt Carmel with one dedicated to Baal the other to Yahweh, with a sacrificed bull on each one.
When the Baal prophets called on their god to rain fire down to destroy the offering, nothing happened. But when Elijah called on
God, fire came down from heaven immediately and consumed the Bull, the water, and the rocks, and nothing remained! Elijah ordered the Baal and
Asherah prophets be siezed and slaughtered.
One dispicable act committed by Jezebel was against her neighbor, Naboth, a vineyard owner next to their royal palace. Ahab wanted to purchase
the vineyard from Naboth to expand his gardens, but Naboth refused saying he wanted to keep it within his family.
When Jezebel found her husband depressed by this, Jezebel organized two false accusers to accuse Naboth of blasphemy and have him stoned for something he didnt do.
After Naboth died, Jezebel said to her husband Ahab: I have arranged for you to take possession of the land. Ahab was tolerant of Jezebels evil
Elijah prophesied that after the dispicable act of siezing Nahors land in an unfair way, Ahab would die and Jezebel eaten by dogs.
Three years later, Ahab died in battle. Ahabs descendants were still slated to take the throne for Kingdom of Israel. Ahabs son, Ahaziah inherited the
throne, but died in an accident, then Ahaziah's brother, Joram, inherited the throne. But Elisha, Elijah's successor,
knowing that Gods will was to have a righteous King take the throne next, anointed Jehu, a righteous commander of
Jorams army as King, in order to destroy Ahabs descendants and take over as King. Jehu then killed Joram and went to the royal palace where
Jezebel was still staying. Jezebel dressed in her finery and put on her makeup (we believe this was in her mind, done in the spirit that she goes down as Royalty).
When Jehu arrived, he ordered Jezebels servants to throw her out of the window, where she was cast out, and then her corpse was eaten by dogs.
It is our job as Christians to ensure that we are not manipulated by the Jezebel spirit, and also to know its signs and to pray and cast it out of loved ones.
Some of the warning signs of the Spirit of Jezebel include:
- Wants to control others and fears rejection. Excellent at seducing and manipulating. Will say almost anything to get what they want.
- They target headship - those in authority. They offer to be assistants to those in high places. This allows them to manipulate the head, but be out of view so as to be protected.
- They quickly make promises and commitments using power abdicted to them by others, in order to impress others and be a respected power figure.
- They will abuse Gods power by exalting themselves to an undeserved false religious position (prophet, teacher, pastor), to give the impression they are Godly and authoritative.
This allows people to be manipulated as if partially by a Godly force. Using God, the Jezebel furthers the personal agenda.
- They will isolate and pit people against each other, using them for achieving a personal agenda.
- They are never wrong, and hate to be told No. They use false humility to feel entitled to own more.
- They are not personally accountable and accuse others of being Jezebels.
- They accuse others falsely and operate in insecurity.
- They will use witchcraft to achieve their ends.
King Ahab, Jezebel's husband was a wicked King, from an increasingly evil line of Kings in Israels history, starting with King Jeroboam.
Ahab did more evil in the eyes of the Lord than any King before him (1 Kings 16:30). He tolerated evil, knowingly married an evil idolatrous wife (Jezebel),
and allowed her to convince him that he should give up his religion and instead worship Baal, tolerate the evil acts of Baal, and abdicate his authority
over to her. Ahab devoted himself to the worship of Baal and Asherah after marrying Jezebel.
Prophet Elijah warned King Ahab of coming judgement if he did not obey the true God. Elijah warned of coming judgement to Israel by God if Ahab did not submit to God.
Ahab, instead, promoting idolatry in the land of Israel caused God to react with a 3 1/2 year famine (1 Kings 18:18) fulfilling Elija's warning.
Ahab also had a chance to repent and be a more respected King, when God gave Ahab a command to go out and destroy King Ben-Hadad, King of Aram. God was setting up a victory
for Ahab, but Ahab disobeyed God and instead made a treaty with Ben-Hadad (1 Kings 20:1). Therefore, God told Ahab through a prophet, it is your life for his life and your people
for his people.
Ahab was killed by a random stray arrow in the battle of Ramoth-Gilead, where he slowly bled to death in his chariot. They washed his chariot in the pool in Samaria where the prostitutes bathed and
dogs licked up his blood.
Some of the warning signs of the Spirit of Ahab:
- They are never wrong, therefore they will not repent.
- They love having authority, but abdicate it to others.
The Ahab abdicates God given authority to the undeserving spouse. When pressed to act, Ahab does not act.
- Ahab worships idols and submits to false authority.
- Ahab never takes responsibility.
- Ahab may be effeminate, materialistic, and promiscuous.
- Obsessed by Career and Status and more material posessions.
- Prefers to be dominated by a strong spouse, abdicates authority to the spouse
- Tolerates evil
- The spouse is head of the household, and is the spiritual leader of the home